contact us

  • gulpzine@hotmail.co.uk

Monday 1 September 2008

Dave White Interview

Born 19th February 1971 Dave first went to art school at the age of 16.
Even before starting his degree, Dave had secured his first solo exhibition before he was 18. Thanks to critical acclaim from Adrian Henri, Liverpool’s beloved poet and artist, word quickly spread. His premier solo exhibition was a complete sell out and he was awarded ‘Best New Talent in Visual Arts’.

3 years and one degree later, after being lucky enough to paint in John Lennon’s old studios, Dave’s work was quickly picked up by galleries and he was exhibiting alongside the likes of Hockney and Piccaso in the west end of London and at international art fairs. Today there are over 200 works in private collections worldwide.

After some time touring as a dj around Europe he then decided to go back to the studio and launching his site in Jan 03 Dave has been lucky enough to exhibit worldwide and work with the best in the business. Thanks to the support of sneaker headz and art lovers Dave’s work is reaching new audiences every day.

(the above text taken and edited from his Myspace)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When and under what circumstances did you first refer to yourself as an "Artist"?

I have always created images for as long as I can remember, obsessively making pictures of the things I really loved as a child, . I made a choice at 15 that Art was what I wanted to pursue. So I suppose then.

What inspired your style of painting?

I have been painting for over 20 years and studied Fine art painting for 10, along that journey I discovered oil paint right at the beginning and just connected straight away, the mark making, the surface texture and even my paint splats all appeared as soon as I got together with the medium. It just felt natural and represented my ideas the best way. You never stop learning along the way and your work always develops through exploration, risk and chance play a big part in my work.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

When did you realize that you were a highly well-respected artist?

I just do my thing.

Which piece (or project) are you most proud of ?

I am only as good as my last painting, that's how I have always worked, I am constantly thinking of the next one.

What do you think are the most positive things about being a working artist in today's cultural climate?

The world has never been more exciting, and actually seems quite a small place, I always cherish visiting other countries and getting to absorb other cultures and ways of living.

Your well known for your sneaker paintings, so what was it like for Nike to acknowledge this and to use some of your ideas for a t-shirts collection?

A massive honor, I made the 1st painting in 2002 and never would have imagined the journey that I was taken on through making the Sneaker paintings. My relationship with Nike and all of the people who work their I call friends Is really special to me. I would never have imagined the incredible journey, the people i met and the opportunities that came along from painting objects I love.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

How have you handled the business side of being an artist?

I have an amazing wife, we have been together for 21 years this year, we work very well as a team.

What are the most important influences that have moved you as an artist?

Van Gogh. There is an amazing book of his letters to his brother Theo who supported him his whole life, who knew he was a free spirit, a man whose style was unique, who didn't play to convention, and just did his thing regardless and did it with so much passion. it's a really moving read. Even the most banal subjects he painted just had magic, something really special.

Do you ever go through long periods when you don't make art?

Never, I am in the studio at 730 am everyday.

Who is your favourite artist working in a different genre than you?

Too many to mention, but one of the standouts has to be Fatsarazzi, he is like the Spike Jonze of photography, his style is so unique, and just captures his subjects, be it an event, party, portrait with so much flair and style, like when is someone going to make that massive Coffee table retrospective book of his work?

What advice would you give to a young artist?

Believe, do your own thing, explore everything and you will find what suits you and your style. Don't follow trends or styles to fit in, However be patient it's a long road with ups and downs, but if you love what you do with all your heart nothing else matters. And always go on gut instinct, if you smell a rat, walk away.

Where do you think the majority of your work will end up thirty years from now?

Who knows, I am honored when people buy a piece. Only time will tell.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Are there any plans work wise you have coming up, which you could share with the readers?

I have been exhibiting abroad, but have 2 uk solo shows coming up, the 1st is in September with my latest Super Hero paintings, and the 2nd is in London in October at The Old Truman Brewery where I will be exhibiting and debuting my latest subject matter,. I am also very honored to be releasing my 1st published print coming out of the same studio that makes Damien Hirst prints. I hand finished the edition last week and they will be available through www.opus-art.com at the launch of my show.

Last question the mighty morphine power rangers or transformers?

Stormtroopers all the way!


For more info on Dave White you can check his myspace by just a (click)
or for Dave's website just (click)


Lego