contact us

  • gulpzine@hotmail.co.uk

Friday 8 August 2008

Fatsarazzi Interview

fatsarazzi is a mastermind of the fashion industry,
Born and raised in London Fats’ diverse career in fashion spans 22 years during which he mainly worked as a creative production and design consultant.

Once part of the most integral European Streetwear company , Gimme 5, Fats is now the photographer for quality, insight & original Streetwear treatments. He has worked on influential labels such as Gimme 5, GoodEnoughUk, A Bathing Ape, Silas, Vans & Maharishi to name a few

As a sought after photographer for his ‘trend-setting’ talent, Fats has VIP access to events around the world and his native ‘very happening’ city of London, which he admits never ceases to inspire him.

Fats is part of an on –line community, where he has come to be known as ‘the Blogfather’. He writes for some of the largest Global Blogs, not only informing, but also instigating change within the industry.

(the above text taken and edited from his website www.fatsarazzi.co.uk)

This week i was lucky enough to have a online interview with the master Fats Shariff.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Your part of, and considered to be one of the pioneers in today’s “London’s cool urban scene” (I hate to put it like that).
But what keeps you captivated by it and still involved after all these years?I'm red!

thank you for not calling it streetwear. damn that is a good & tough question as it is hard to answer, as there are many things that keep me captivated. if I could put it into one thing it would probably be the sheer freedom of expression, ok 2 things...Inspiration...I am inspired everyday I walk the streets. London gives you a confidence to be different, to be yourself, to take the 2 things & apply them. I see it, & feel it & when that stops...I will stop to.

Are there any trends or brands, in the current Street wear scene that you particularly appreciate or dislike?

I just like the way people are mixing it up to make it their own, & really there is not that much that I do not like. Ok one thing, I wish some of the 'Urban Labels' out there that make Ladies clothing too. They should pay a little more attention to what Ladies are wearing or want to be wearing, & stop trying to make the mens a little more lady like...not working with the Ladies I know.

In a day and age, where by slr’s and digital camera’s are so accessible and affordable do you feel something special has been lost in the art form of photography?

Never...my photography teacher once said, 'photography is not perfect, & it never should be'. there are many ways you can read into that. I am a great fan of new tech & champion it everyday, but it is still about the subject matter & composition...establishing your eye, your light. When I started my site & again started snapping while out, there was just me, & maybe one other. Today there are so many people with cameras & getting their view point documented, that is the way of things, the way of the web. Sorry got a little Starwars there. But, it is crazy & that is the challenge...that is my inspiration to maintain my eye & keep my game going.

Favorite piece of garment you purchased or were given free?

Probably my Denim Waistcoat that I bought in Venice Beach back in 1992. It has all these amazing patches all over it...a real find. But that smoking Jacket that I found is pretty dope too.

Which side of your work life do you prefer, the photographic side or the fashion side?

They both meld into one, but I have to honest...Photography wins everytime...it is the Food that Feeds my Inspiration.

Who was your personal inspiration growing up in the design scene?

There were too many, but if I could say London...is that ok, I owe this city a lot.

Who are you most proud to have worked with?

Which piece of your work are you most proud of?

Who was your mentor?

I know this sounds really silly, but my Mother & Father. They have been in the business for years, & my mother, Jubilee was living a very similar life style back in late 60's eraly 70's...or is it I am living a similar life to the she led. She was a bit of a face back then...a lot of it rubbed off on me.

What’s the best advice you’ve been given?

Be Yourself, & be Confident, not Egotistical.

What advice would you give to a young photographer?

Keep at it & believe in yourself, never be afraid to learn from others & try what they have done. By doing this & making mistakes, can only make you better...& more confident in your talent.

Are there any specific projects you have coming up, that you could share with the readers?

Nothing specific so to speak, but I got a few Ideas in my note book & some eating away at my brain...just need the time & finance ha ha hah.

One last question mc donalds or Kfc?
(and don’t try and lie that you don’t eat fast food ! ! !)


Ok, ok, ok...it would have to be Mickey D's, because I do not do Chicken...yeah I am Nandos nightmare.

Be Well.

check more info on the main man at his website click
---> www.fatsarazzi.co.uk <---


Lego